Tuesday, August 27, 2013

33" x 40" blanket

Want a blanket for the kiddo in the car? Want one just for the couch, that is just right for the lap?

This blanket is a little oddly sized. However, it would work as a lap blanket or at least give you a template to continue on. I stopped at this, due to the cost in yarn and I didn't want THAT large of a blanket. I wanted to be able to wash and dry it fairly easily.

This was used with 7 skeins of Lion's Brand acrylic Woodlands, which is bulky (5). It is simple, mindless, repetitive. It is worked lengthwise (rather than width-wise). I added a few different stitches on either edge just for a change up. It is hard to tell in my pictures how it looks, but if you used a solid or semi-solid rather than a striping yarn, it will show up better.

You need to know:

1. hdc - half double crochet
2. sc - single crochet
3. ch - chain
4. seed stitch (alternate between a sc, hdc, all down the row. When you turn to do the next row, you will do the same thing: sc, hdc, all down the row).

These are U.S. terms, by the way.

You will need:

An I hook (or whatever hook you wish, depending on whatever yarn you choose)
Scissors
7 skeins (or more) of yarn


I did as follows:

1. ch 120 + 1 to turn. This is the length. You can chain more to make it longer than the 40" I had. You'll just need more yarn!
2. Do 6 rows of seed stitch, chaining 1 every time to turn until you get to the last row.
3. Chain 2. Do 6 rows of hdc, chaining 2 every time you turn until you get to the last row.
4. Do a lot of sc rows, until your blanket measures approximately 30" - this is your width. You should have just about finished your 6th roll of yarn... or just started the 7th. (This will vary depending on your yarn and hook size, but in the event you took me literally and got 7 rolls of yarn, I figured I'd put this line in here.) You will chain 1 every time to turn, until you get to the rows of hdc.
5. Do 1 more row of sc.
6. Chain 2, do 6 rows hdc, chaining 2 every time until you get to the last row.
7. ch 1, do 6 rows of seed stitch. Tie off.


You can't really see the variation in stitches with my self-striping yarn. If you use a solid, you may be able to. It is subtle in person, too. Just even moreso in a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment