So, I took the hook out and tried this chart I found for free on Ravelry for Space Invaders. I just made 2 stitches to each block. It's about a coaster size, so I may make the others. They're kinda cushy though. Have to test it with a glass on it.
It's 24 stitches across. I used Tunisian Knit Stitch (tks) and Tunisian Purl Stitch (tps) to try to stop it from curling on the edges. It still curls. Not sure what to do about that. I try to pay attention to not crochet too tight...
I did the following:
repeat previous two rows
tks to color change, then tks with green, then switched to tks when I went back to black
tps to color change, tks, switch to tps in black
And so on
The black eyes I tks.